Physical Education (PE) at Bevington
At Bevington, we value the importance of Physical Education and healthy lifestyles. Each child from Reception through to Year 6 receives two hours high quality Physical Education per week. We expose pupils to a broad range of physical activities that are carefully mapped out with our pupils in mind with the aim for them to lead healthy and active lives. Our curriculum map for Physical Education builds upon agility, balance and coordination in EYFS to a broader range of skills in years 1 to 6. Pupils build on their skills in each year. We teach a range of core sports and a specialist sport in each year group. Dance and Gymnastics are linked to our topic curriculum. Physical Education lessons are either taught by a subject specialist HLTA or by the class teacher. In Year 5, swimming replaces PE lessons for two terms.
The aims of Physical Education at Bevington Primary School are:
- That all pupils experience a wide ranging and diverse Physical Education curriculum.
- Promote the importance of adopting a healthy lifestyle and highlight the benefits of physical activity on the body.
- Provide extra-curricular opportunities for pupils to pursue their interests in sport and physical activity.
- Develop student’s spiritual, moral, social and cultural experiences through a variety of sporting activities and competitive experiences.
- Enable pupils to work independently and as part of a team in varied activities.
- To establish and develop community with sporting agencies where pupils can further participate and fulfill their sporting potential.
Children from Bevington engage with local fixtures and attend sports festivals in the local area. We have also developed our own Sports Partnership to enhance the range of competitive team sports on offer in the borough. There is a yearly Sports Day for all Key Stages which takes place in the Summer Term, as well as this we also hold a KS1 and KS2 Multi-Sports Days to further celebrate sport and being physically active.
Please find the progression map for PE at Bevington below. This map details the skills and knowledge pupils are taught in each year through the school.
Pupils in Year 5 receive two terms’ worth of weekly swimming lessons, taught by specialist teachers.
Pupils in Year 6 are also assessed in their swimming ability during the summer term.
In line with National Curriculum requirements we assess pupils on their ability to:
- swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
- use a range of strokes effectively
- perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations.
The results from our Swimming Assessment of Year 6 pupils in July 2019 were:
- 73% could confidently swim 25 metres using a range of swimming strokes (front crawl, back crawl and breaststroke) effectively and be safe in the water across a range of activities.
- 27% of the cohort had basic water safety but were not competent or fully confident in the water.
For the forthcoming academic year we will be implementing further swimming activities within the KS2 Curriculum to improve the proportions of children that are competent and confident in the water.
Extra Curricular Sporting Activities
We offer a wide range of extra-curricular sporting activities at Bevington. The majority of the clubs on offer are run by our specialist PE staff and some are run by high quality external providers. Our pupils also engage in after school friendly fixtures against other local primary schools. In addition to this our PE staff also run clubs to develop pupils PE skills in both KS1 and KS2.
External providers also help to provide further opportunities for all pupils to be active and develop at sport including Wall Ball UK, Sports Inspired and Taekwondo club.
For each PE lessons pupils need to get changed in order to be hygienic and feel comfortable. This forms a key health and safety aspect of all PE lessons. Our PE kit is:
- Trainers for every lesson except when pupils are studying Gymnastics and dance when they will need to be bare footed.
- Blue shorts or blue jogging bottoms
- Blue Bevington PE T-shirt
- For swimming: swim shorts/trunks or swimming costume, towel. Optional are goggles and swimming cap.
In addition to the PE kit it is important to mention that all jewellery, including earrings will need to be removed for every PE lesson due to health and safety.